Thursday, July 23, 2015

Just What I Asked For

I've mentioned before that Hubby and the kids have nicknamed Jedi "Kelso." Like the That 70's Show character, Jedi is a pretty boy who often does dumb things. Sometimes, however, I suspect my dog is a lot smarter than my family thinks. And other times I'd swear he understands every word I say.
 
Jedi has never been a cuddly dog. I know he loves me, and he's demonstrative with his affection, but it's usually just a quick lick, a goofy grin or a bump-n-wag. He never stays still for loving more than a minute or two before wriggling away. I guess that's just who he is and I don't want to force him to do something he's uncomfortable with.
 
Dozer, Jedi's brother
About a month ago I went to visit my friend Blondie. Jedi's brother, Dozer, lives with Blondie and her family. I was sitting on the love seat chatting away when Dozer suddenly climbed up and put his head in my lap. He stayed that way for the longest time. I was so amazed that I snapped a picture of it with my phone. It's an unflattering picture of me, so I'm not going to show it to you. However, I did show it to Jedi when I got home, saying something akin to "Look what your brother does! I'd really like it if you'd do that too." He gave me a goofy grin and bounced off.
 
Fast forward to last week. I came home early with a sore back. I went to bed and figured it would be better in the morning. It wasn't. It was worse. But stubborn me still waited several days before going to the doctor -- just in case it got better by itself. (BTW, I'm not real fond of going to the doctor.) By the time I got an appointment I was in excruciating pain taking all the old painkillers I could find in the medicine cabinet. My backache turned out to be a kidney/bladder infection. OUCH. The doctor prescribed antibiotics and better pain meds, along with instructions to stay in bed and rest. Here's the amazing part: Jedi never left my side. When I was in bed, he cuddled up beside me for hours at a time. When I was on the couch, he was next to me resting his head on my leg. And when I was on the floor crying in pain, he was laying over me, licking the tears from my face. My snuggle-free dog turned into the biggest cuddle bunny I've ever seen . . . just what I had asked for.
 
Jedi -- see the family resemblance?
Alas, it was short lived. Now that I'm on the mend Jedi has returned to his old ways. He still follows me room to room -- he is a shepherd after all -- but he keeps watch from a distance, with the occasional quick lick or bump-n-wag to say hello.
 
Now that I'm feeling better I've got some blogs to catch up on. I missed you guys! And hopefully a few posts of my own will come along shortly. I discovered that it's hard to be creative while in pain. I also discovered that you can find an episode of Law and Order and/or Law and Order: SVU on TV any time of the day or night. Who knew?

Despite my tale of the thoughtful thing Jedi did for me, it's Thoughtless Thursday! We're joining Ruckus the Eskie, M.K. Clinton and the pups over at Love is Being Owned by a Husky and all the folks below to share what thoughts are -- or aren't -- in our heads today. Check it out! -- K
 

No comments:

Post a Comment