Friday, May 10, 2013

Puppy Got a Brand New Bag

A picture 30+ years in the making
True story: I had the world's slowest orthodontist. Every month for two years I would sit in the waiting room for an hour. Then I would sit in the chair for another hour before finally getting my braces tightened. To pass the time I would read Dog World and Dog Fancy magazines cover to cover. I loved looking at the ads. Some kennels would advertise with pictures of gorgeous German shepherds. Somewhere around 1980 I saw an ad for doggie backpacks -- and I wanted one. I would sit in the chair and fantasize about hiking around the world with a gorgeous German shepherd wearing a backpack. (Stop laughing, I was 12!)
 
Fast forward three decades. I was in Petsmart just after Christmas and what did I see in the clearance bin? A doggie backpack! Yeah, I bought it. It's still a little big for Jedi, but we broke it in today. I put two bottles of water, his collapsible bowl and poop bags inside the pockets and we took a trip. He didn't seem to mind the weight of the pack too much, especially when distracted with a Sonic cheeseburger. After Sonic we headed to the Jacksonville Arboretum. The hike didn't go as well as I would have liked. Jedi pulls -- a lot -- and I am not in the best shape for hiking. We both came home tired and took extra long naps. But I will go again, and I'll try to take pictures next time. If nothing else, I owe it to my 12 year old self. -- K

Hubby took a picture of Jedi and me sleeping.
Jedi takes up half of the queen size bed!

1 comment:

  1. Those backpacks are so cool but I'd probably do myself and injury when I am dashing around hunting. Good for Jedi though. Have a super Saturday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete