Thursday, March 28, 2013

Out Damned Spot

The only spot Jedi wants is the black one on his tongue.
The picture was taken at the Atlantic Beach Dog Park.
Good news! We went to the vet today to check Jedi's demodex spot. A skin scraping revealed no live mites, only skeletons. The ivermectin treatment is working! We're going to continue with the medication for another 10 days and then return for a second scraping in 30 days. When we get two negative scrapings we can consider the demodex gone. Whoopie! The vet also increased Jedi's medicine. The dosage is based on weight and Jedi is now 61 pounds -- nine pounds heavier than he was a month ago. Believe it or not, he still looks skinny!

I'm glad that Jedi is doing well. However, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed about not showing him next month. I've waited 35 years for this and I don't want to wait any longer. (I've mentioned previously that patience is not one of my strong points.) Even though we won't be running around the ring, Jedi is still going to the show next month. My Dog Club's President suggested I bring him anyway so that he can experience the atmosphere of the show. She said that the sounds, smells and excitement of a dog show can be overwhelming and this will be good practice for him. Madam President is one of the most knowledgeable dog show people I know, so if she says "You should do this . . ." I'm gonna do it! Last week we bought Jedi a bigger crate (he just keeps growing!) and plan on taking him to Elkton with us. The show is a week from tomorrow. I'm so excited! I will post details and lots of pictures.

The weather has finally cleared up! It's been cold and wet for the last week and the dogs have been cooped up too long. Jedi is bored and driving everybody crazy. Jedi and I are going to take a walk. He needs more leash training and I need less junk in the trunk, so this should be good for us both. Catch you later. -- K





2 comments:

  1. Good luck at the show and glad your weather has turned at last. So has ours but it is still cold but at least it is sunny. Have a fabulous Furday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yay! I am so glad to hear the demodex is going away. I agree that he should attend the dog show as a visitor.

    ReplyDelete